Call Us Today 208-772-4400

Understanding Fault In Auto Accidents

auto accident coeur d'aleneAuto accidents are common, with millions of accidents reported annually in the United States. Determining who is at fault is crucial, as it affects who will be held responsible for the damages and injuries resulting from the accident. 

Auto Accident – Coeur D’alene

What Is Fault?

Fault refers to the legal responsibility for causing an accident. In auto accident cases, the party that is determined to be at fault is responsible for the resulting damages and injuries. This can include paying for medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, and pain and suffering.

Determining Fault In Auto Accidents

Determining fault in an auto accident can be a complex process. In general, the fault is determined by assessing the actions of each driver involved in the accident and determining who acted negligently or recklessly. 

Negligence refers to a failure to exercise reasonable care, resulting in harm to another person. For example, if a driver fails to stop at a red light and collides with another vehicle, that driver may be considered negligent.

Recklessness refers to a conscious disregard for the safety of others. For example, if a driver is speeding and weaving in and out of traffic, that driver may be considered reckless.

To determine fault, several factors are considered, including:

  • Traffic Laws: The first step in determining fault is to consider whether any traffic laws were violated. For example, if one driver ran a red light, that driver may be considered at fault for the resulting accident.
  • Statements From Witnesses: Eyewitness statements can be valuable in determining fault. Witnesses may have seen the accident unfold and can provide valuable information about who was at fault.
  • Police Report: Police officers who respond to the scene of an accident will typically prepare a report detailing their observations and findings. This report can be used to help determine fault.
  • Vehicle Damage: The extent and location of the damage to each vehicle involved in the accident can also provide clues as to who was at fault. For example, if one car was rear-ended, the driver of the vehicle that rear-ended the other car may be considered at fault.

Comparative Fault

In some cases, the fault may be shared between multiple parties. Specifically, if one driver was speeding and ran a red light, but the other driver was distracted and did not notice the red light, both drivers may share fault for the resulting accident.

In such cases, the legal concept of comparative fault is used to determine each party’s degree of fault. Comparative fault allocates fault based on each party’s contribution to the accident. In particular, if one driver is found to be 60% at fault and the other driver is 40% at fault, the damages would be apportioned accordingly.

What Happens If You Are Found At Fault?

If you are found at fault for an auto accident, you may be held liable for damages and injuries resulting from the accident. This can include paying for medical expenses, lost wages, and property damage. If you have auto insurance, your insurance company may cover some or all of these costs, depending on the terms of your policy.

If you do not have insurance, you may be personally responsible for paying these costs. In some cases, a judgment may be entered against you, and your wages or assets may be garnished to pay for the damages.

It is important to note that fault is not always clear-cut, and there may be circumstances that mitigate or excuse your actions. For example, if you were forced to swerve to avoid hitting a pedestrian and causing an accident, you may not be held fully responsible for the resulting damages.


An understanding of fault is crucial in auto accident cases, as it determines who is responsible for the resulting damages and injuries. Determining fault can be complicated, but working with a skilled attorney who can help you navigate the legal system and protect your rights is essential. If you have been involved in an auto accident, contact Beck Law to discuss your legal options and learn more about how fault is determined in your state.

"Proudly Serving All of Idaho for Almost 40 Years"